pyoor_excuse: (Default)
Well, being a twonk (yes, I am) I picked up a single pole switch instead of a double pole switch for the lights, which is annoying - so I need to replace that. But the rest of the bike is now wired and lighted and ready to rock and roll. I have a grab-rail instead of a top-box at the moment because the top-box mounting isn't quite in the right place with the indicators where they are. A nut missing from the saddle, and the wiring loom is strangely close to the side-panel cover, which is a little disconcerting.

But yesterday I attached the gear lever and she, under her own steam, moved.

I had some fun with the chain splitter, but managed to sort that eventually. And she is ready to ride. I just need to get a brake light switch and then I can get an MOT. Kathryn did look displeased at me, as I did my brief low-speed test ride without bike gear on (it's the only time I'll ride anywhere without gear is if I'm just checking she moves). Oh, and the first time ever in my life, I think I got the clutch adjusted right! First time and all! Woot!
pyoor_excuse: (Default)
Well, ish.

She runs anyhow.



John came down yesterday and with John like skill combined the 3 wiring looms into one, lopping off connectors that are no longer required or don't fit together, deciphering my modifications to the old loom (to replace the old failed mechanical regulator with an electronic one, and so on. Having got her ready we turned her over and...she wouldn't start.

Much head scratching ensued, we took the carb float bowl off because we couldn't smell fuel in the engine (on the plug) and found blocked jets. Cleaned them, put it back together, still couldn't get her to start or smell fuel, took off the carb and found fuel in the intake manifold so...put it back on. Still couldn't get her to start so eventually attacked the bing carb on the Kanuni that's being stripped for spares. Having got that carb off and swapped it* she started first kick (after priming). And sounds sweet as an MZ-shaped nut.

Today I need to rig up a mounting for the front panel (which is held by two overly short and largely ornamental bolts at the moment, and lacks any mounting at the bottom), find a headlamp switch - Maplin appear to stock a sort-of-appropriate toggle switch. I might get two and knock up a kill-switch too. And a piggy back connector so I can have the rev-counter working.

Oooh.

That done it's just split-and-connect the chain (hence lurking in the house waiting for a delivery person) and bleed the brakes, oh and obtain a brake light switch (apparently these are scooter ones for this cylinder, as opposed to the standard MZ unobtainum switch), reattach the seat and get her an MOT. Before Sunday. Oh and keep an eye on the charging circuit because we're not certain if it blew the fuse or if the fuse was pre-blown...

Easy.

Oh, and I just stepped out from the shower and discovered that she was pissing petrol over the floor, so sort out the leak and try and get a correctly sized fuel hose. I may even splash out on a new filter that's got less grot in it. The chain splitter has (handily) arrived, so I'm going to see if Halfords can manage a battery and a brakelight switch now.




* I wanted to put the bing carb on because it's much better than the BVF carb. The BVF carb is prone to the slide wearing out and apparently gives less smooth running - although I never noticed that so much. The upside to the BVF carb is it does give better economy. The Bing (or the Mikuni if you can lay your hands on them) is less efficient but a better all-rounder. Sadly, with the death of MZ and the disappearance of the MZRC Mailing list a lot of this information appears to have disappeared. Unfortunately, I think I decided a while back to delete my MZRC Mailing list stuff because so much of it wasn't any use, keeping only the note about how to connect the rev counter...
pyoor_excuse: (Default)
So, it's cold, frequently wet and windy. What would be less than ideal?

Guess... go on... guess.

are you right...? )
pyoor_excuse: (Default)
So, building work progresses apace; well, a-limp is probably more accurate; however there are distinct progress signs, and a feeling of positivity descended (until today when I realised I'd have to pay to get someone to wire the kitchen, which is going to be 'spensive, 'cos I suspect I need an RCD unit instead of my current 'fuse box'). At any rate there is progress, at one point the kitchen was a place of great danger... but now there's a wall and in fact, plaster. I'm waiting on a ceiling though.

So anyway, that's the building work news. I do like to keep you all updated.

In other news, I spent a fantastic 2 days up in the land of Norwich - relaxing and generally having an awfully good time with Kathryn. I headed up on Friday, and... well, actually Kathryn posted about it here - it seems silly for me to post the same stuff again. But what I will do is share a few pictures with you...

September 2017

S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
10 111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2017 06:15 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios