I suspect then that there's something up with clutch shoes (it has shoes, not a plate, I think); and therefore it's an engine-out job. This being the case I decided not to continue with the service (since I might as well do all the horrid things all in one go). I did however spray the other sill with waxoyl... or at least I started. Then I lost the little injection straw in the sill. So that's slightly frustrating.
It is an unfortunate and unexpected expense coming at the same time as the TV licence and the Visa application. On which front we finished the first run of filling it in; now we need some photos and one small question answered and then some sendings. Hopefully, after that, Kathryn'll be able to stay in the UK for a couple of years; which should mean that we're fine to bugger off to Canada.
Still, the house is warm, the kitchen is lovely and we've got almost an entire sea-load of fish for dinner, so that's all good.
Distressingly I'm on nights next week. But hey, into each whatever, a bit of rain must fall.